Odds are if you work in an office your risk is fairly low when it comes to injury. However, many of our business clients have to go outside and work with heavy equipment to earn their keep. Study after study show that the most serious of injuries usually have one factor in common; lack of information. Information is the one tool you should never leave behind.
For instance in 2009 of 724 workers interviewed that were injured using scaffolding, a whopping 27 percent said they received no information or training on safety requirements or regulations for the kind of scaffold on which they were hurt.
Of nearly 868 head injury claimants interviewed an astonishing 71 percent said they had no instruction concerning the use of hard hats. One of the most basic pieces of safety gear available. Another 554 workers were injured while servicing equipment due to a lack of lockout procedures.
When these type of injuries happen they cost everyone. The employee in time and lost compensation, the employer in time, billable hours and insurance ratings, usually resulting in higher premiums. The vast majority of accidents are completely avoidable with the proper training and workplace attitude.
Here’s a sample of what you can do.
- Make sure you have a complete understanding of all safety measures before starting. If you are unsure, ask again!
- Use what you are taught every time.
- Make sure any safety equipment is properly maintained. Change respirator filters frequently and check hard hats for cracks or bad straps.
- Look for and follow any safety labeling or warnings on chemicals or equipment.
- Ask your employer about emergency procedures for fire, or chemical spill if applicable.
- Never operate a piece of heavy equipment you are not familiar with.
- Use safety training! Contact OSHA for help. They do more then enforcement, they are a great asset.
- Develop safety plans that include fire extinguisher training, first aid and other emergency training.
- Require new employees to review and acknowledge all safety procedures before job assignment.
This is only a sampling of how we can help your business save money by providing you with not only the proper insurance, but the proper resources to make your work place the best for your employees and your bottom line!
Team ATD is always open for business!